Thursday, September 25, 2008

Lonely Here...

So I’m alone now in this dank basement working on my game. And I have to say, it’s a strange feeling knowing that the whole project is standing on this knife’s edge, about to teeter off into nothing.

The thing is, I no longer have an artist. And an artist is pretty important to a game.

I won’t go into the details as to why I no longer have an artist, but the fact remains, ATSS is without art, and without art, it’s just code and some crappy mock ups I’ve done in paint shop.

And I don’t have hundreds of thousands of dollars to pour into an artist. In fact, I’ve already dropped hundreds, and I’m no farther along than I was when I started.

So, what this means for ATSS…

Well, right now it means a couple of things. First, I’m looking for a new artist, someone who is willing to put the time in, as I am, without seeing anything upfront (like I am). I need a good 2D artist who really has a passion for games and who can see a value in a finished project.

This may be too much to ask for…people need to eat.

Second, it means a reassessment of the scope of the game. I’ve done a project timeline and with all of the features in ATSS I would be in development until March just on the game engine. I would like to cut this down quite a bit. This means that I’ll be scaling down some of the features, and doing a pretty major rewrite of the game design document. This also means I get to do a few things that I wanted to do before that would not have been possible.

With all of that in mind, I’m ready to being again, focusing more on a more streamlined, elegant game than one that is laden with so many features I can’t imagine debugging them all.

Now if only I could convince someone to come down to this place and draw something.

No comments: